Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Hungry Tide

When I was reading English for my exams, I had every faith in the ability of literature to help change the world. Street theatre, controversial books…everything made a little bit of difference. Why else would governments ban certain books?

Then I grew up of course and realised the futility of it all. At the NGMA, for the celebrated new Edge of Desire exhibition, I saw art that was completely inconsequential, art that didn’t even make a point, no matter how trite. And living in a world in which the Kaavya Vishwanathans of the world can flourish does not say much about the quality of publishing today. It’s not only that she plagiarized entire passages, it’s just a very stupid book. Some things just don’t merit existing at all. Theatre – I love it so much, but most elitist theatre seems as though it’s preaching to the converted. I am perhaps an elitist leftie, but that is such a redundancy. Ritwik Ghatak committed suicide because he believed his entire life’s work to be a waste - the people his films were made for, didn’t understand them. His Meghe Dhake Tara made me cry though. I thought his films were pure brilliance, but I don’t count.

So maybe the scales have fallen from my eyes or maybe I’ve merely built a new, different kind of wall round my consciousness. It’s just two steps to apathy from here.

PS – Aayush and I have a music blog up, here. Come no?

8 comments:

smohan said...

Hay !! u were supposed to do the Rupert Angiers joint venture with me FURST

jairaj said...

All well, so far. The usual drone of hum-drum and the furious key-hitting time. Leonard Cohen tunes, sweet teas and nicotine drills. How's it going with you?

Anonymous said...

ooooh, I SO identify with this! Hopped over from a blogroll mention.. will be back :0)

Oh...and geographically..we're practically neighbors...or well, 10 minutes apart.. :0)

jairaj said...

Not updating, (humph)!

smohan said...

How was malaysia ??? tell tell ?
did u bring the uhmm 'software' as promised ??

Anonymous said...

Hey jammy! WHo are you and why can't I read your blog? *bangs head in frustration*
Jerry, was in Malaysia having a blast.
Shobhs, what 'software'?
DV

whitelight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

@DV: Like I said, I bloghopped over. Read about Breach Candy somewhere, hence the neighbor comment. If you read my profile carefully, I did live in Boston. This time LAST year. I now live 10 minutes away from you. And the reason I look like your cousin is the bawa genes. We all look alike. Your yahoo page setting doesn't accept messages so I couldn't reply, which is why I'm doing it here. Now that you have a profile, I'll send you an invite. Add me as a friend and you'll be able to read my blog and COMMENT (that would be nice!) every time you log in. Sound okay? =0)